Friday, January 11, 2013

Updates of the past couple of days

How to travel when vegan: Read the label!

I spent Wednesday traveling across the country (FL to WA) and packed myself some nice vegan snacks: a pear, half a pack of cherry tomatoes, rice cakes, and cashews. Nice snacks for snacking but when I travel I get HUNGRY! I ate my leftover Panang Curry Thai food from Tuesday for breakfast so that I would have something filling in my tummy before embarking on my 8+ hour journey. It was difficult to eat a large portion of food that early in the morning (10AM) but I knew that I would not have the time to eat before my flight at noon so I stuffed it in and boy was it delicioso!
FYI Panang Curry usually has fish sauce! Oh my! But they said* that they wouldn't put it in, and that is a hunk of tofu btw
My first flight was none too exciting and I landed in Atlanta with an hour layover. By this time I was roaring hungry and I didn't care for any of my snacks, I wanted to glomp on something fresh and new. I walked past several restaurants and fast food places. Nothing there for me. I walked past a few snack kiosks with sandwiches and the like. I perused their selection. All of them either had meat or cheese (or both) and the only vegetarian selection was on bread (I'm assuming it has eggs or milk) so I stayed away. Two little stands later and I hit the jackpot!

The smoothie was strawberries and peaches, yum!

The only downside was that it was $9

That wrap was the most magnificent thing I have ever eaten in an airport and from such an unlikely pick. I was doubtful but now I am a believer. Good things can come from airports!

The next day: AKA Thursday I stopped into the local mini mart for some groceries and picked out some hummus, carrots, lettuce, and juice. I had bought some wheat thins yesterday that I combined to make this:

Dipped carrots and wheat thins in hummus, and a salad with balsamic and hummus dressing
Dinner was Thai food! Thai fried rice with tofu. Yup those are onions and they were quite tasty (I know!)
 The Thai place did not have vegan Panang curry (the fish sauce was pre-mixed into the sauce unfortunately) but this was a worthy substitute and I quite enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment